"Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors."

-Jonas Salk

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Peak Oil Explained

Thanks to the anonymous poster who pointed me to Quark Soup, which seems to maintain an excellent compendium of timely science links. I've blogrolled it and intend to follow it. I also won't be shy about adding a few words about some of the more interesting links. (For instance I note the irrepressible Matt Huber appears again, this time on a story of making use of CCSM a little less painful. Boy, there's a timely issue for me. But that wasn't even my favorite link of the first batch I saw.)

I always appreciate when people manage to boil the essentials of complex issues down to a few words. I'm not sure that is what lit crit people mean by framing, but it's what I mean. Quark Soup points to a fine example which appeared in this The Independent story about peak oil:
According to "peak oil" theory our consumption of oil will catch, then outstrip our discovery of new reserves and we will begin to deplete known reserves.

Colin Campbell, the head of the depletion centre, said: "It's quite a simple theory and one that any beer drinker understands. The glass starts full and ends empty and the faster you drink it the quicker it's gone."

Dr Campbell, is a former chief geologist and vice-president at a string of oil majors including BP, Shell, Fina, Exxon and ChevronTexaco.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But before you even reach the last glass, the price goes up astronomically, and as a result you begin to sample the delights produced by the grape rather than hops, and pubs become wine bars.

Honestly, you doomsters are such party poopers!